February 14, 2013

Anniversary

One year. It has been one year since I moved into my apartment. One year of living on my own (or at least sleeping) and one year of learning what it really means to take care of yourself. I cannot boast that I've done it alone, and I cannot say I am independent, but I am in the process of it.

I've learned that I enjoy having people over at my house.

I've leaned that I can enjoy cooking even if it's just for myself.

I've learned that although mornings are the loneliest for me, I enjoy a quiet morning with coffee and a book.

I've learned that Mona isn't just my pet. She is my companion and my guardian.

I've learned that you can sleep on both sides of the bed.

I've learned that knowing your neighbors and saying hello makes the difference.

I've learned that certain pleasures, such as a delicious dessert or fancy food shouldn't be just to share.

But what I re-learned this past year that truly marked me is that I am blessed. I am thankful for my family that was the first to make my house a home. I am thankful for my Mexico City friends that were the first to come for wine and girl talk. I am thankful for my friends that have traveled long ways to visit me. I am thankful for those friends that haven't been able to visit but always have encouraging words and the occasional care package.

Happy anniversary to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment