October 02, 2011

Wise Words

I have always believed in the power of words. Words, phrases, poetry, prose always have an ability to transcend time and give meaning, strength, and a new perspective to the world. Perhaps this is the reason why I ardently read and attempt to write. Words are powerful and magical and through words, I make meaning of this crazy yet beautiful world we live in. Writing our thoughts is an important part in the quest to analyze and improve ourselves because every great and terrible idea began as a thought in someone's mind. When we write our thoughts down, we make them words and those words can become the actions that forever change our lives. It was a thought of equality that allowed Martin Luther King to fight, a thought of peace that gave Gandhi the motivation, a thought of hate that gave the countless dictators the motivation to create hate.

These are just some of the reasons why I think we should always be careful about what we think, say and write. Our brains are capable of such beautiful dreams and such terrible nightmares. When I come across words that touch my heart, I like to write them down. This gives me the possibility to go back to them and think and reflect. Today, while I was reading such phrases, I came across sweet words that a friend once told me. I don't remember the occasion, but these words were the right amount of medicine I needed. My dear friend, who lives far away and who I have not seen in years, once told me "People get what they deserve and you, my love, only deserve the best."

I am such a fortunate person to be surrounded by people whose words in books and in conversation give me strength years after they've said them. We should be careful with what we say and who we say it to. We would be better people if we chose our words wisely and acted upon them with even more wisdom. I don't know if this post makes sense. I don't even know what the purpose of it was. I guess all I can say is thank you to all the people whose words make a difference in our lives, in our cities, in our countries and in our world. Thank you to everyone who fights for a better tomorrow with words rather than guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment