November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is an extra special day for me. Today is a day to give thanks. This is something I try to do every day, but I like that in addition to that, there is a special day to give thanks.

I had spent the last couple of years preparing dinner for my family. I would make a delicious turkey, mashed potatoes, a different dish each year with sweet potatoes and another veggie dish. My sister would get dessert. Until last year she found the most delicious pumpkin pie in Mexico. My mom would assist me with the sweet potato and veggie dishes and with anything else that came up. My grandma was in charge of wine. We would set the table. Family would arrive with more desserts. We would wait impatiently for the turkey the last couple of minutes staring at it as if that would make it cook faster. Once the turkey was ready, my cousin would help with the gravy. He quickly became a gravy-making expert! Then we would sit and I would have trouble carving the turkey. I would swear that next year I would learn how to properly carve the turkey. Everyone ate delicious food. Everyone would be stuffed. A typical Mexican remark would be mentioned for my cooking, "Ya te puedes casar." You can already get married. After dinner we would have to beat my grandma to clean and do the dishes. It was a great event, probably bigger than Christmas.

This year, I am far away from my family and it didn't seem reasonable to make a whole turkey. There are definitely wonderful people to make it for, but the audience of this feast is my family. Only my mom puts up with my moodiness as I try to do everything on my own and become the dictator of the kitchen. Only my sister would drive all over town getting all the last minute things and still dress to impress. Only my grandma would not pay attention to me when I told her she could not do the dishes. And yet I live with a wonderful friend and partner for whom I would like to make this wonderful feast. I went to the grocery store early and was lucky enough to find a nice thick turkey filet. I will prepare it as closely as I can to my turkey recipe. I will make a small portion of mashed potatoes, grilled veggies and I bought some delicious French bread. We will have a small Thanksgiving dinner just us three: Riccardo, Mona and me. We have a lot to be thankful for and tonight we will dine and drink to that.

This year has been especially great. I am a very fortunate person because even though life hands me a couple of hardships to overcome every once in a while, once the storm is gone, there is plenty of sunshine. Since last Thanksgiving I have made new friends and re-kindled with old ones. I have traveled and eaten delicious food. I have had friends visit me in Mexico. I have started to learn a new language (5th one)! I have moved half way across the world for love. I have walked around four countries in two weeks with my mom and grandma. I have become even closer to my baby sister. I have taken up writing seriously. I have learned to travel in trains and how to dress for cold weather. I have made a wonderful new home with Riccardo and Mona. I have learned so much about myself and I am working to become a better person. It has been a wonderful year and all that I can do is say thank you. Thank you to God, to life, to my family, to my friends.

I am very fortunate to have family all over the world, and, although I would very much like for everyone to live nearby, they are all in my heart. Everyday. Everywhere.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment