January 22, 2012

The War that Would End All Wars

I had not watched “Schindler’s List” in a very long time and today, as I watched it, I could not believe my eyes. I have read countless books, articles, poetry and news reports of the Holocaust and everything the Nazis did to the Jewish people but as I watched the move, I was in disbelief all that could really happen. I know it did but how could it have happened. I don’t know why it hit me so hard today but as I watched the movie and saw the furnaces where the bodies were burned and the treatment the Jewish community received, I could not comprehend how that could have gone on for six years. Why did it take six years to stop the crazy people who had no heart do that? Why did the rest of the world stand aside and just condemn without making it stop? Now, 67 years after the horrible abuse and killing, the Jewish community has its own territory yet they are inflicting upon others the same abuse and violence that was inflicted upon them. Palestine was an independent country that helped the Allies during WWII and their help was repaid with an invasion of their territory. It is illegal for Palestinian people to capture rain water and their access to rivers and streams is being limited by walls. They are threatened by military officers and checkpoints wherever they go. Did we not learn, after WWII, the war that would end all wars, that violence does not solve problems but rather worsens them? How could a culture that lived so much death now inflicts the same death upon others? When will war truly end?

No comments:

Post a Comment